Water All Around

"Water all around...never learn how to swim now." This site is devoted to great alternative music. Like "Swingin' Party" by the Replacements from which the aforementioned lyrics hail. These posts are intended to introduce visitors to bands that I believe deserve greater attention. If you wish to have an MP3 removed, email me at zotzedwriter@yahoo.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

FofW/PW Soundtrack Songs

Here are two shiny new tunes from Fountains of Wayne and Paul Westerberg – both from recent films. FofW weigh in with a goofily great theme song for Monster House, while PW contributes a disappointingly dull track to Open Season.

Which brings me to the point of this post: What the %&*$@# has happened to Paul Westerberg? Since the dissolution of the Replacements many moons ago, he’s written what – maybe five great songs at best? I know that some attribute his demise to the sobering up of his life and softening up of his music. Me – I don’t have a problem with either. My beef is with his lyrics. The guy who once wielded a wicked wit and poignant emotional power now pens lyrics that make Hall & Oates seem mind-expanding.

Now, I realize the song that has prompted this diatribe is from a soundtrack to a family film. But so is the Fountain of Wayne’s track. And the Waynes manage to make theirs witty and entertaining. Westerberg’s, on the other hand, is insipid and dull.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think maybe it’s time to run the closing credits on the music of PW.

[MP3] Fountains of Wayne – “Monster House” (highly recommended)
EXPIRED
[MP3] Paul Westerberg – “Love You in the Fall” (highly disappointing) EXPIRED

Buy the Monster House soundtrack
Buy the Open Season soundtrack

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home