Water All Around

"Water all around...never learn how to swim now." This site is devoted to great alternative music. Like "Swingin' Party" by the Replacements from which the aforementioned lyrics hail. These posts are intended to introduce visitors to bands that I believe deserve greater attention. If you wish to have an MP3 removed, email me at zotzedwriter@yahoo.com.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Cock Sparrer

Somehow, these guys escaped my punk purview back in ’82. Which is kinda surprising cuz those were my college days when I’d scour the bins of Flat Black and Circular in East Lansing and read NME and other alt pubs cover to cover in search of new bands.

So I was somewhat taken aback when I recently saw the album that these songs hail from – Shock Troops – placed on the same pedestal as London Calling. Now after several listens, I can tell you with utter surety that Cock Sparrer is no Clash. However, these London lads do (or did) kick out some really good stuff. The comparison I’d make is the Undertones, with maybe a pinch of Ramones added to the mix (listen to the guitar work on “England Belongs to Me”). They produce pubby, poppy, sing-along punk, and in my view, the band probably deserves more attention than they got in ’82 or are getting today.

[MP3] Cock Sparrer – “Where Are They Now” EXPIRED
[MP3] Cock Sparrer – “Riot Squad” EXPIRED
[MP3] Cock Sparrer – “England Belongs to Me” EXPIRED

Subscribe to eMusic where you can download Cock Sparrer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home