Water All Around

"Water all around...never learn how to swim now." This site is devoted to great alternative music. Like "Swingin' Party" by the Replacements from which the aforementioned lyrics hail. These posts are intended to introduce visitors to bands that I believe deserve greater attention. If you wish to have an MP3 removed, email me at zotzedwriter@yahoo.com.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Songs that sizzle, CDs that fizzle

This is sorta like One Hit Wonders – if I were the only person on the planet listening to music. “Songs that sizzle, CDs that fizzle” represents those times when I heard a song by a band and dug it so much that I rushed out to get their CD – only to find that I undug everything else on the disc.

My earliest sizzle/fizzle memory – and I’m sure I’ll take some heat for this – centers on the Smiths. Back in the 80s, I was big fan of the Jam, and when I heard “This Charming Man” on a Detroit alt rock station, I was certain I had unearthed a worthy successor to those fiery mod rockers. But when I picked up the Smiths’ debut disc–––––ugh. Too gloomy. Too downbeat. Too artsy. I was left with one song that sizzled and a whole CD that fizzled.

This has even happened with my beloved Replacements. I remember Don’t Tell a Soul meeting with critical disparagement before its release in 1989. But when I heard “Talent Show,” I thought the critics were loopy. Then I popped the disc into my player and–––––ugh redux.

So here’s some sizzles that led to fizzles. If your musical tastes run similar to mine, I’ll hopefully save you a few ughs. But listen at your own risk. There’s always the chance that these will lead you to rush out and squander a month of lunch money on the CDs.

[MP3] The Replacements – Talent Show
[MP3] The Smiths – This Charming Man
[MP3] Anti-Flag – Turncoat
[MP3] Avoid One Thing – Yakishoba
[MP3] Concrete Blonde – Joey
[MP3] Dresden Dolls – Coin-Operated Boy
[MP3] Group Sounds – Things Fall Apart
[MP3] Happy Bullets – Vice and Virtue Ministry
[MP3] The Hong Kong – Mazerati
[MP3] Jilted John – Jilted John
[MP3] Kaiser Chiefs – I Predict a Riot
[MP3] Madcap – Lovesick
[MP3] Morticia’s Lovers – Smash the Radio

1 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Просьба не надо терпеть ЭТО на обозрение [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-bani/104-stroitelstvo-karkasnykh-ban.html]ремонт квартиры стоит[/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home