Water All Around

"Water all around...never learn how to swim now." This site is devoted to great alternative music. Like "Swingin' Party" by the Replacements from which the aforementioned lyrics hail. These posts are intended to introduce visitors to bands that I believe deserve greater attention. If you wish to have an MP3 removed, email me at zotzedwriter@yahoo.com.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Buzzcocks

Back in 1980, a buddy of mine used to drive me to high school in his Bug (an old beater in which – to my daily dismay – I could see the road flit by through the rust-eaten floorboards at my feet). He’d installed his own car stereo and would play homemade tapes on the trips to and from school. One day, he popped in a cassette loaded with music he’d recorded from his older brother. It was at this moment that my musical life was forever altered. Out of the speakers exploded a sound that grabbed me in way arena rock never had: It was aggressive yet hooky. Angry yet compassionate. Powerful yet in many ways fragile, ready to break apart. Most importantly, it seemed to speak to me – to my life and my concerns. One of the first bands to leap out of those speakers was the Buzzcocks. The album: Singles Going Steady. In the years that followed, I played that album as much as any one I’d ever owned. Amazingly, the Buzzcocks are still producing great music nearly 30 years later. Their 2006 disc, Flat-Pack Philosophy, may not be as groundbreaking as Singles Going Steady but it offers up 14 worthy rockers. Here are two of the best:

[MP3] Buzzcocks – Wish I Never Loved You
[MP3] Buzzcocks – I've Had Enough
[MP3] Buzzcocks – Ever Fallen in Love? (from Singles Going Steady)

Read about the Buzzcocks
Buy Flat-Pack Philosophy
Buy Singles Going Steady