Water All Around

"Water all around...never learn how to swim now." This site is devoted to great alternative music. Like "Swingin' Party" by the Replacements from which the aforementioned lyrics hail. These posts are intended to introduce visitors to bands that I believe deserve greater attention. If you wish to have an MP3 removed, email me at zotzedwriter@yahoo.com.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Five fer Friday XI

[MP3] Generation X – "100 Punks Rule" EXPIRED
That first album by Billy and the boys was awesome. Here's my favorite track.

[MP3] The Jam – "Saturday's Kids" EXPIRED
I really need to devote an entire entry on the Jam. Until then......

[MP3] Hoodoo Gurus – "I Want You Back" EXPIRED
This is from their 1983 Stoneage Romeos debut disc – it spent quite bit o' time on my turntable back in college.

[MP3] The Pink Fairies – "Between the Lines" EXPIRED
Early Stiff Records band that I know little about – this is from the Stiff Singles, Vol. 1 disc.

[MP3] Mick Farren and the Deviants – "Let's Loot the Supermarket Again Like We Did Last Summer" EXPIRED
Ditto.

This might be it for '06, gang. Happy holidays to all of you!
-Kent

9 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!
Great post, a real nostalgic trip there for me. The Larry Wallis EP "Screwed Up" was a fave o'mine back in the late 70's and this track is still a killer. Hoodoo Gurus first 2 albums are still kickin' ass and, finally, Generation X made 2 great albums, my favorite track is "The night of the Cadillacs" from the Valley of the dolls album. Dag Nasty did a carbon-copy version of 100 punks on their latest CD, BTW. Cheers and a real good holiday on u 2.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit!!
Of course I meant MICK FARREN's EP "Screwed up"!!!
But his old collegue Larry Wallis DID release a bloody good 7" around the same time, "Police Car".
Shame on me!!

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some blog I subscribe to, can't remember which, posted the first Stiff compilation album. Hang on, lemme check....here ya go: http://powerpoplovers.blogspot.com/2006/08/bunch-of-stiffs-1977-stiff-records-was_20.html
dunno if it still works, but, nonetheless, it's awesome.
A Jam retrospective would be terrif. I am a big fan of their later stuff as well as the early mod music. Beat Surrender, Town Called Malice, god, Weller was a genius. And so fucking arrogant. How is he not whispered in the same breaths with Costello and the like? It's a travesty.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://powerpoplovers.blogspot.com/2006/08/bunch-of-stiffs-1977-stiff-records-was_20.html

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

keeps clipping the name of the url

http://powerpoplovers.blogspot.com/
2006/08/bunch-of-stiffs-1977-stiff-
records-was_20.html

take out all the spaces.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Kent said...

Senap,

I have to admit I've never listened to Vally of the Dolls. I remember that it got stink-o reviews back in the day. You think it's worth picking up?

-Kent

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Kent said...

Thanks for sharing, Sparkylulu.

-Kent

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since it's about 15 years since I listened to it I'd better say maybe.
But a handful of good songs should not be hard to pick from it.
Friday's angels, King rocker, Gimme some truth, Running with the boss sound and Night of the Cadillacs were good back then anyhow. The Jam is by the way a good choice for a post. I had the 5 first albums back in the days but I liked them best in the beginning (first 2 ones)

 
At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Skip Crawling Downloads With NZB Downloads You Can Hastily Find Movies, Console Games, MP3 Singles, Software and Download Them @ Dashing Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup Search[/B][/URL]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home